Exams and Proctor Selection
SPECIAL NOTE FOR SPRING 2021: There should be NO proctored exams for Spring 2021 due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. You do NOT need to submit a Proctor ID form for Spring 2021.
We anticipate that some classes will return to proctored exams in the summer and fall semesters of 2021.
All examinations must be supervised unless they are take-home exams. Engineering Online students must submit the name of an individual to serve as their exam proctor to the Engineering Online office within the first two weeks of the semester unless told otherwise.
Use the Engineering Online Student Center to identify what proctor you will use each semester that you are registered. A proctor must be approved by Engineering Online staff to administer quizzes and exams. The proctor is responsible for adhering to all NC State, Engineering Online and instructor policies regarding exam administration. No exams will be made available to students who do not have an approved proctor.
In some instances, online students may be able to take an exam with the on-campus class or during a specially scheduled exam session on campus. Because this option may not always be available, students hoping to attend seated examinations must still have an approved proctor on file with the Engineering Online office. Online students planning to attend a seated exam must notify the Engineering Online office of their choice prior to the examination.
Anyone serving as proctor must be able to fulfill that role objectively. For this reason, Engineering Online prohibits potential conflicts of interest between a proctor’s personal or professional relationship to a student and the proctor’s role as an NC State University testing official. Review the information below before selecting your proctor.
The following individuals or organizations may serve as proctors:
- NC State University’s Distance Education Testing Service
- Even though there are 2 local testing centers at NC State, only the Centennial Campus testing center is available to Engineering Online students
- Another university, college or private testing center
- Local library offering proctoring services
- Military training or education officer
- Manager or supervisor
- School principal, vice principal, librarian, teacher, or school counselor
- Human resources manager or training officer
- College professor or administrative officer
The following individuals are NOT acceptable proctors:
- Relatives, neighbors, and friends
- Co-workers and subordinate employees
- Receptionists and security guards
- Fellow students
- Online proctors (such as ProctorU)
- Anyone with a perceived or real conflict of interest
Select a Proctor
Engineering Online students must submit the name of an individual to serve as their exam proctor to the Engineering Online office within the first two weeks of the semester. Students are required to use the Engineering Online Student Center to identify what proctor they will use each semester that they are registered.
Submitting Course Assignments
Your ability to submit homework assignments, projects and other course requirements on time is crucial to your success as an Engineering Online student. The preferred method of submitting these assignments will be determined by your instructor.
Engineering Online often serves as a liaison between the student and the instructor making it possible for homework to be submitted, time-stamped and forwarded to the instructor. Access to a scanner and fax machine are important in submitting assignments for many EOL courses.
If the instructor designates the EOL office as homework coordinator for your class, follow these guidelines:
- Convert the homework document to Adobe PDF file format.
- Fax or email the homework document and the completed Engineering Online Homework Cover Sheet to the NC State Engineering Online Homework Coordinator:
- Please make sure the course number, your name and the page number appear on each page of the assignment you are submitting.
- When completing the Homework Cover Sheet, please include your course number and assignment title in the subject line.
- Assignments should be written using black ink or dark pencil.
- All graded homework will be returned to you via email as a PDF attachment.
Have questions about submitting assignments to the Engineering Online office? Engineering Online's Homework Coordinator is available to help.