CSC 519 DevOps: Modern Software Engineering Practices
3 Credit Hours
Modern software development organizations require entire teams of DevOps to automate and maintain software engineering processes and infrastructure vital to the organization. In this course, you will gain practical exposure to the skills, tools, and knowledge needed in automating software engineering processes and infrastructure. Students will have the chance to build new or extend existing software engineering tools and design a DevOps pipeline. In this course, you will gain practical exposure to the skills, tools, and knowledge needed in automating software engineering processes and infrastructure necessary for continuous deployment of software. Students will have the chance to build new or extend existing software engineering tools and design an automated deployment pipeline.
Software Engineering (NC State CSC 510) OR
Graduate standing with at least a 3.0 GPA and good knowledge of at least one high level programming language
In the course, a mixture of traditional lectures with activities and workshops will be used. During lectures, we will cover core concepts related to a topic. During the workshops, we will perform sample exercises with relevant tools that reinforce lecture material. Evaluation will be based on tech talks, homework assignments, workshop attendance, and final project. After the course, students are able to:
- Programmatically provision images.
- Automatically apply configuration management to production environments.
- Automatically create and maintain build environments.
- Maintain test suites and measure testing quality and coverage.
- Automatically generate new tests, using feedback-directed random testing, fuzzing, and data-flow analysis.
- Programmatically measure code quality via static and dynamic code analysis.
- Understand components of infrastructure.
- Remotely regulate behavior of deployed software via feature flags and configuration servers.
- Apply advanced strategies for deployment of software.
- Monitor and analyze telemetry data.
- Implement resilience testing on production environments (e.g., Chaos Monkey).
EXAMINATIONS: Final Comprehensive Exam
SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS: We ask that students are able to pass the profile check detailed here: https://github.com/CSC-DevOps/profile
The primary objective of the course will be to allow students to gain experience in incrementally building a continuous delivery pipeline from scratch. Throughout the semester, students are expected to complete a component of the pipeline by each milestone deadline.
Details on requirements for milestones will be released throughout the course.
No required or recommended textbooks.